Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Where did the chicken go?

Sunday was another successful day of cooking, thanks to Annie's Eats. I love her recipes. Until recently I had just been using her wonderful recipes for baked goods, but now I'm expanding into some actual cooking.

Sunday morning I started off baking some Blueberry Lemon muffins.





Ingredients 
1 3/4 cups whole wheat white flour
 
1/3 cup sugar
 
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 
3/4 teaspoon salt
 
1 egg, beaten
 
3/4 cup Lemon nonfat Yogurt
 
1/2 cup applesauce

3 tablespoons nonfat milk
 
1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Juice from the lemon.
 
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
How to make Blueberry Lemon Muffins Preheat oven to 400°F.
Grease muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl combine egg, yogurt, oil, milk and lemon peel; stir well.
Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter should be lumpy).
Gently fold blueberries into batter.
Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean

They came out really good, but the stuck to the papers, so next time I will just grease the pan instead of putting the muffins in papers. But they are a great healthy breakfast, which is easy and awesome in the mornings.

For dinner my goal was to make chicken gyros, sauteed veggies, and garlic rice pilaf. I started on the rice pilaf cause it takes forever to cook, and when it was almost done, I was going to put in the chicken, but alas, my apartment made the chicken disappear. I had put it on to marinade the night before, and it was gone when I went to look for it. As was my leftover tzaziki sauce. So dinner became the gyros with the left over chicken from Saturday.

The veggies were delish. I coated a skillet with extra virgin olive oil, threw in about 4-5 garlic cloves minced, then chopped a red pepper into slivers, threw them in, then added some zucchini, and finally some broccoli. The veggies were good left over too.

The rice was a recipe from Annie's Eats

Baked Garlic Rice Pilaf
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. butter

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup long-grain white rice
2½ cups chicken broth, divided
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375° F.  Have ready a covered casserole dish.  In a saucepan or skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and rice to the pan and cook until both are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.  Pour the mixture into the casserole dish, cover, and bake for 25 minutes.  Stir in the remaining 1½ cups chicken broth and bake, covered, for another 45 minutes.  About 15 minutes before it is finished baking, stir in a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Note: This recipe can be doubled without increasing the baking time.


It is amazing. In fact I want to make it again, just so I can add it to my leftovers throughout the week. A very tasty rice.

Monday was leftovers, but today I'm off on a food adventure with some zucchini turkey burgers for lunch, and cilantro lime shrimp fajitas for dinner. Bring on the goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment